Tuesday, July 21, 2009

A Little Bit More Music

Concert season, for me, appears to be starting. I had been relatively indifferent to the presence of the Capitol Hill Block Party in the past few years. I didn't really go looking, nor did anything about it jump out at me. This year however, I was presented with two reasons to go.

First, as I was tracking down some new music from a KEXP podcast, I caught wind on the band's website that they'd be playing at the Block Party. The band is The Thermals, a Portland outfit that made me dance around my apartment when I heard the song on the podcast ("Now We Can See" which is the title track on their new album). This alone was intriguing, but $23 for a band that I could see for a fraction of that?

Then #2 came along. An email from Sound Magazine with additional lineup details. And one band headlining that sealed it for me. Sonic Youth are hitting the Mainstage on Saturday. I had a single Sonic Youth album in high school, Dirty. It didn't really hit me particularly hard at the time. But times and tastes have changed, and Sonic Youth has staked out some brain space for itself.

Thus was my ticket purchased. I'll be heading up to Seattle on Saturday, and hope to catch the following:

Hey Marseilles
Awesome Color
The Pains of Being Pure at Heart
The Thermals
Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros
Sonic Youth

And of course there's some time spread out to wander and hear random bits and pieces.

No comments:

Post a Comment